There are many resources right around us that can help with one or all of the aspects to downsizing and can work around your budget. Here are some things to consider when looking for someone to help with the downsizing process. Interview a number of different companies and then choose the one that you think will be best for you.
Using a downsizing company:
What will a downsizing company do for me?
When you hire a professional service to assist you in your move, you can expect the following services.
- Free Consultation
- Creating a custom, itemized plan
- Inventory and Organize belongings
- De-cluttering the house
- Arrange for donations and trash disposal
- Conducting onsite or offsite estate sales
- Staging the home for sale
- Manage the details of the move
Questions you will what to ask when meeting with downsizing companies.
Is the company insured?
- Make sure that the company handling your precious antiques and family memorabilia is insured. The companies we refer our clients to are insured.
What do I need to do to prepare for my first meeting?
- Don’t do anything yet. The specialist will create a custom plan for this process and guide you through the entire process.
Should I throw away junk before they get here?
- Most companies are trained and able to tell if an item has value or not. Something you may think is junk, could be a valuable item to sell or donate.
How do they get paid?
- That depends on the company and what type of work they will do for you. If they hold an estate sale, they typically charge a percentage of the sale proceeds and nothing more (35% to 60%). Other companies charge by the hour or the job.
Do you work within a client’s limited budget?
- Yes, the companies we recommend will work within the clients budget and do as much or as little as you can afford based on their itemized list.